There are a number of reasons why public relations can help your security company thrive, but much of the security monitoring industry doesn’t use any type of PR for marketing. Many people think PR and advertising are the same thing, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. Let’s take a look.
Why Use PR For Marketing Your Security Monitoring Company?
Consider a few of these scenarios:
- Your company has the best monitoring prices in the business, but you have a smaller amount of customers than other companies in the industry.
- Every time you are at a trade show, people that have seen you before still ask “what is it that you do?”
- As a security or PERS dealer, you know you have amazing products, but your sales don’t demonstrate that.
PR is more than spin or social media. It can truly help your company, especially in those situations above. It’s a mistake to think that PR is just for spinning a story to influence others or that it’s simply click-bait ads to get people to come to your company website. PR can really be used as a funnel to get positive attention to you and your security monitoring company.
How To Use PR For Your Security Monitoring Company
Let’s take a look at the first and third scenario above. You have a great product, but sales aren’t succeeding like you had hoped. This could be tackled by both advertising and PR, but you can put yourself in great position first to get positive PR by:
- Attending as many shows and events in your industry to present your product or services.
- Building your online presence by creating content and social media engagement.
- Writing pieces about your product and sending them straight to industry journalists.
Putting yourself in a position to draw attention to your product will only increase the chances of you and your product getting noticed. The best part about these initial tactics is that they are all free.
Let’s take the second scenario and put it into play. How can you fix nobody knowing what you do in the industry with PR? Public relations is about utilizing industry influences and earning media’s attention. You can start to earn industry attention by:
- Signing up to give a speech or be a thought leader at a trade show or round table discussion.
- Using press releases to display your acumen in the industry.
- Creating an event for others in the industry to attend like AvantGuard did with the PERS Summit.
By doing these things first, you will convince media to give you coverage. You won’t have to pay for any of the coverage since you put in the backend work to earn all of the coverage. That is the main difference between advertising and good PR. Good PR is earned, not purchased.
There are three things to remember before you start ramping up your PR strategy for your security monitoring company:
- PR is earned, not purchased.
- PR is evolving so you must engage in many facets, not just press releases or public appearances.
- PR is not spin, it’s real news.
Keep those in mind while you are starting your journey to ramp up your marketing strategies for your security monitoring company. PR can truly help your company if you are willing to put in the work.